Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Questions Parents with Special Needs Children Should Ask Their School

By Greg Sampson

Questions Parents with Special Needs Children Should Ask Their School:

1.       Has my child received all the accommodations written in his/her Individual Education Plan (IEP)?
2.       May I see the documentation from each teacher?
3.       How often does the Support Facilitator (SF) meet with my child?
4.       Do the reading and math goals support my child achieving proficiency under the standards, or have the standards been modified?
5.       (Elementary and Middle School) Does the IEP keep my child on track for a regular high school diploma? If not, how can this happen or why do you think my child should be slotted for a different type of diploma?
6.       My child received a grade less than a C in this class. What did you do to prevent that? Did you comply with the IEP? Can you prove that?
7.       (Secondary schools) Has each teacher received a copy of the current IEP? If not, do they have access to it and have they read it?
8.       When my child misbehaves, is it a true misbehavior or is it a manifestation of his/her disabilities? What positive behavior intervention strategies are you using to keep my child calm?
9.       I know schools receive extra funding for SES (Special Education Students). How are you using that funding—for services for my child or is it going into the general budget?
10.   My child is in a regular ed class. What training has the teacher received to understand her/his needs and to provide him with the support required?

 No doubt, readers, you can amend and add to this list. Weigh in with your comments. Let’s make 2014-2015 the year DCPS does right by each and every one of its SES students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment